Thursday, April 2, 2015

Animals of the Tropical Dry Forest

          Many animal species make their home in the Tropical Dry forests. Like plants, these animals must have the ability to adapt to wet and dry seasons. Often species reproduce with the rainy seasons. Many species are also migratory. Famous large mammals, such as elephants, rhinoceros, hippopotami, and giraffes are endemic to this biome. With large herbivores come large predators, with lions, tigers, grey wolves, leopards, fossa, and jaguars all native to these areas.

Reptiles are well adapted to this biome. The animal diversity in one Mexican desert is up to 40% lizard species. Snakes and geckos are also common. Famous snakes include the venomous King cobra, fer-de-lance, and black cobra. There are less amphibian species in the dry forest, as they are generally not well adapted for the dry season. The amphibians that do live in this biome will use the small water pools at the leaf bases of bromeliads and orchids to lay their eggs and grow their tadpoles. Several bird species live in this biome, including the golden eagle, peacock, and peregrine falcon.

Various rodent and insect species are endemic to the tropical dry forest. These include the capybara and the hummingbird hawk moth. The Acacia tree has hollow thorns that house ant colonies. The ant colonies protect the tree from herbivores and other insects while the tree provides a safe home for the ants. Australia also has Tropical dry forest area. Some of the species native there are the Tasmanian devil and koala. Madagascar is part of the biome with its famous unique species such as the ring-tailed lemur.


Due to many factors, including deforestation, this biome is home to many threatened and endangered species. The black and Javan rhino, komodo dragon, sloth bear, maned wolf, tiger, and clouded leopard are all found here.

      
      
    





14 comments:

  1. There is pretty much no information on this page. How is this supposed to help me with my tropical dry rainforest project. If I was able to rate this it would be only 1 star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This page is really fucking stupid

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Kelsey somebody agrees with me

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to add a lot more to this page if you want it to be a useful source. Believe me I would know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please Check out youtube channel. (Vincent VanPelt) My videos will not show unless you click on my channel name and you either have to click all videos or all playlists then you can view my videos. I am going to try to save up for better things to record better videos than what I can right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Vincent VanPelt I will check out your channel right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you people need to quit talking trash about this website it isn´t that bad. Sure It could use more information. But it helped me start my research project. I got an A+ on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello this is Vincent VanPelt again. Do you think that when I am old enough to start my own business I should start a business making fudge. I can probably start it in my front yard. I am not even old enough to drive. Please reply soon. It would be hard work to start it because I would have to buy the things I need to make it. After I start making it I will have to find a way to get a fold up table and put it in my front yard to sell the fudge.

    ReplyDelete